Symptoms of excessive vitamin D consumption usually develop within 12-36 hours after ingestion and may include vomiting or diarrhea, increased thirst and urination, and muscle tremors or seizures. Any cat experiencing these symptoms should be taken to a veterinarian immediately.
Two variety packs that contain some of these recalled products (the Chicken Lovers Variety Pack, and the Ocean Lovers Variety Pack) will also be recalled. The recalled products are distributed nationwide. No other Rachael Ray Nutrish products are affected by this recall.
The affected products are:
- Paw Lickin Chicken and Liver (2.8 oz), Unit UPC Code 071190007032, Best By Dates Thru Aug 17 2015
- Ocean Fish And Chicken Catch-iatorie (2.8 oz), Unit UPC Code 071190007049, Best By Dates Thru Dec 1 2016
- Ocean Fish A Licious (2.8 oz), Unit UPC Code 071190007056, Best By Dates Thru Dec 1 2016
- Tuna Purrfection (2.8 oz), Unit UPC Code 071190007063, Best By Dates Thru Dec 1 2016
- Lip Smackin Sardine And Mackerel (2.8 oz), Unit UPC Code 071190007070, Best By Dates Thru Dec 1 2016
- Chicken Lovers Variety Pack (12 count pack of 2.8 oz cups), Unit UPC Code 071190007773, Best By Dates Thru Dec 1 2016
- Ocean Lovers Variety Pack (12 count pack of 2.8 oz cups), Unit UPC Code 071190007780, Best By Dates Thru Dec 1 2016
To date, there have been 11 reports of illness associated with these products.
After conducting a number of product tests, Ainsworth confirmed that the affected products have elevated levels of vitamin D. The high levels result from the natural levels of vitamin D that are found in some of the fish ingredients that were used in these specific formulas.
"At Ainsworth Pet Nutrition and Rachael Ray Nutrish, the safety and quality of our products is our top priority," says Jeff Watters, CEO. "For the time being, we recommend disposing of any of the affected wet cat varieties. Rest assured we have implemented additional operating procedures to prevent an issue like this from occurring in the future. We sincerely apologize to our loyal consumers everywhere."
Ainsworth is working to ensure the removal of all affected products from store shelves. Retailers with affected products are asked to contact +1.888.943.4218 for additional information.
Consumers with questions about the recall are encouraged to contact Ainsworth’s Consumer Care Team at +1.877.650.3486 or visit www.nutrishforpets.com/news.
Representatives will be available from 8 a.m.-9 p.m. ET Monday through Friday and 8 a.m.-8 p.m. ET Saturday and Sunday.
Vitamin D is important in regulating calcium and phosphorus in a cat’s body. But when ingested at very high levels, it can lead to serious health issues.
Production of the affected varieties has been suspended and will resume after reformulation.