The Pet Institute of South Africa reported that at least 21 dogs have died from eating contaminated dry dog food.
The dogs were diagnosed by the Onderstepoort Veterinary Institute in Gauteng, South Africa, as having died of aflatoxocosis. Three brands linked with the contaminated petfood are Hi-Pro, Legends and Buddies.
The Pet Food Industry Association and the South African Veterinary Association are working together to try to stop the deaths. If a dog is showing signs of being unhappy, uncomfortable, depressed, off its food, nauseous and/or vomiting, pet owners are urged to immediately withdraw its food and take the dog to the nearest veterinarian. Pet owners are advised to take the original packaging of the dog's food along with them.