PSB conducted an online survey among 900 dog-owners in the US. Research was conducted between September 8 and September 11, 2015.
- Nearly half of dog owners surveyed agree choosing the right food for their dog is the most difficult part of pet ownership.
- Half of dog owners surveyed say they think about their dog’s nutrition often.
- More than half of dog owners surveyed (52%) and nearly 7 in 10 Millennial dog owners surveyed (68%) agree their dog’s nutrition is more confusing than their own.
- 70% of dog owners surveyed agree the dog food they select mostly fits their dog’s needs, but is not the perfect fit.
- Of those surveyed, 79% of millennials believe the pet food they select is not the perfect fit.
- Almost 1 in 4 dog owners surveyed say they felt overwhelmed with the amount of choices available the last time they purchased dog food.
- 1 in 4 dog owners surveyed estimated, on average, they spend more than 10 minutes in the dog food aisle deciding between the different blends, brands and flavors available.
- Nearly 4 in 10 (37%) of millennials say they spend more than 10 minutes choosing between the different blends, brands and flavors available.
- When asked about how they would feel if there were a food that could be personalized for their dog’s nutritional needs, dog owners surveyed were primarily positive about this opportunity, with 57% stating they were interested.