Reptile owners have been urged by the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) to take precautions when feeding their pets frozen mice, rats and chicks after seven cases of human Salmonella illness were reported.
The string of Salmonella, which has been linked to frozen rodents, is easily spread if the proper precautions aren't taken. Pet owners should always wash their hands thoroughly after handling, feeding or cleaning up after pet reptiles. Symptoms of a Salmonella infection include diarrhea, fever, abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, chills and headache.
The PHAC is investigating a possible connection to a similar illness in the United States and whether the product implicated in the U.S. was also distributed in Canada.